NASA Procedures and Guidelines
This Document is Obsolete and Is No Longer Used.
|| TOC | Change History | Preface | Chapter1 | Chapter2 | Chapter3 | Chapter4 | Chapter5 | Chapter6 | Chapter7 | AppendixA | AppendixB | AppendixC | AppendixD | AppendixE | AppendixF | AppendixG | | ALL ||
To provide for the relocation of selected portions of NASA Headquarters in the event that Headquarters facilities are no longer usable.
This plan is applicable to NASA Headquarters. All NASA Centers will prepare similar plans for their locations to assure continuity of operations.
a. As a Category 2 Agency per E.O. 12656, NASA is expected to continue normal operations in case of a national emergency.
b. The Assistant Administrator for Infrastructure, Management, and Headquarters Operations will select an alternate Headquarters location. If a specific preplanned location is not available at the time, another alternate location will be selected within the Washington, DC, area.
c. A core contingency staff will be designated and report to the alternate Headquarters location when directed (see Attachment A).
d. The NASA Administrator, in consultation with the core contingency team, will then determine the specific makeup of the full contingency staff based on the situation and current mission activities.
e. The Associate Deputy Administrator will immediately advise all NASA Centers upon NASA Headquarters contingency plan activation.
f. Designated contingency team members shall report to the designated alternate location whenever advised that the NASA Headquarters contingency plan is activated.
g. The NASA Administrator will make the decision of whether and when to activate this contingency plan.
a. The Office of Infrastructure, Management, and Headquarters Operations will perform the following:
(l) Be responsible for managing the activities, setting up the contingency Headquarters, and providing support services.
(2) Maintain the initial roster of contingency staff members to include a telephone-alerting list as indicated in Attachment A.
(3) Ensure all Headquarters facilities and property are protected per the current threat.
(4) Ensure that copies of all rosters are maintained in duplicate at a separate available location.
(5) Maintain lists of preassigned office locations and telephone numbers that will be assigned at an alternate location selected by the NASA Administrator.
(6) Ensure provisions are in place to maintain the operation of the NASA Headquarters Computer Center or backup capability.
(7) Provide current threat information as developed.
(8) As assisted by the Office of Security and Program Protection Division, monitor the status of security and facilities throughout the Agency and keep the NASA Administrator advised.
(9) Identify a facility to house 40 people initially and up to 150 the next day with sufficient communications capability.
(10) Provide other administrative and logistics support as required.
b. Officials-in-Charge of Headquarters Offices will perform the following:
(1) Propose an initial list of individuals who will constitute the remainder of the full contingency staff and who will report to the contingency Headquarters when advised.
(2) Ensure that Office of Headquarters Operations has an accurate list of contingency team members.
(3) Maintain a roster of all employees and their home telephone numbers with one copy remote from NASA Headquarters.
The Headquarters Contingency Team will consist of the following key personnel and staff:
Office of the Administrator -
Administrator and Secretary
Deputy Administrator and Secretary
Associate Deputy Administrator for Systems Integration
Chief of Staff.
Chief Heal and Medical Officer.
Director of Advanced Planning.
Program Executive Officer for Integrated Financial Management.
White House Liaison.
Office of the Chief Financial Officer -
Office of Human Capital Management - Assistant Administrator.
Office of the General Counsel - General Counsel.
Office of Procurement - Assistant Administrator.
Office of External Relations - Assistant Administrator.
Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization - Assistant Administrator.
Office of Legislative Affairs - Assistant Administrator and Secretary.
Space Operations Mission Directorate - Associate Administrator
Deputy Associate Administrator, Space Shuttle.
Office of Education - Chief Education Officer.
Office of Infrastructure, Management, and Headquarters Operations - Assistant Administrator.
Director, Headquarters Business and Administrative Services Division.
Director, Headquarters Information Technology and Communications Division.
Director, Headquarters Human Resources Management Division.
Office of Public Affairs - Assistant Administrator.
Safety and Mission Assurance - Chief Safety and Mission Assurance Officer.
Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate- Associate Administrator.
Science Mission Directorate - Associate Administrator.
Exploration Systems Mission Directorate - Associate Administrator.
Office of Chief Information Officer - Chief Information Officer.
Office of Inspector General - Inspector General.
Office of Security and Program Protection - Assistant Administrator, Chief, Headquarters Security Office.
Office of the Chief Engineer - Chief Engineer.
Office of the Chief Strategic Communications - Chief Strategic Communications
| TOC | Change History | Preface | Chapter1 | Chapter2 | Chapter3 | Chapter4 | Chapter5 | Chapter6 | Chapter7 | AppendixA | AppendixB | AppendixC | AppendixD | AppendixE | AppendixF | AppendixG | | ALL |
|| NODIS Library | Program Management(8000s) | Search ||