Effective Date: November 05, 2001
Expiration Date: November 05, 2014
It is NASA's policy to fully comply with the reasonable accommodation requirements of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. In compliance with the law, NASA provides reasonable accommodation to qualified employees or applicants with disabilities, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. NASA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to its employees and applicants for employment to assure that individuals with disabilities enjoy full access to equal employment opportunity at NASA.
This NPD applies to NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities.
a. 29 U.S.C. 701, et seq., the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.
b. 38 U.S.C. 4214, Section 403 of the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended.
c. Executive Order 13164 of July 26, 2000, "Requiring Federal Agencies to Establish Procedures to Facilitate the Provision of Reasonable Accommodation."
a. 29 CFR 1614.203
b. 14 CFR Subpart 1251.5
c. EEOC Policy Guidance on Executive Order 13164: Establishing Procedures to Facilitate the Provision of Reasonable Accommodation, October 20, 2000.
d. EEOC Management Directive 715
e. NASA Guidance on Assessing and Providing Reasonable Accommodation
a. With regard to the provision of reasonable accommodations to qualified persons or applicants for employment with a disability, the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs is responsible for the following:
(1) Developing reasonable accommodation procedures;
(2) Ensuring that NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including component operations, develop reasonable accommodation procedures consistent with the Agency procedures, and (for implementing an informal dispute resolution process);
(3) Providing guidance, and technical information to Center personnel concerning reasonable accommodation;
(4) Monitoring NASA Centers to determine that they have procedures in place and that any problems identified in providing reasonable accommodation are resolved; and
(5) Establishing and maintaining a system of records of requests for reasonable accommodation.
b. Center Directors and at Headquarters, the Associate Administrator for the Office of Headquarter's Operations are responsible for:
(1) Establishing reasonable accommodation procedures to be effective 60 days after issuance of NASA Procedural Requirements (NPR) 2080; Procedures for Providing Reasonable Accommodation for Individuals with Disabilities;
(2) Ensuring that all requests for reasonable accommodation are handled in a timely and efficient manner;
(3) Ensuring that Center managers, supervisors and employees are provided with appropriate information and training in the procedures and the processes for handling reasonable accommodation requests;
(4) Implementing an informal dispute resolution process; and
(5) Ensuring that all medical information obtained in connection with the reasonable accommodation process is kept confidential.
c. The Inspector General is responsible for implementing Headquarters procedures to handle reasonable accommodation requests for Office of Inspector General employees.
NPD 3713.8A, dated November 5, 2009.
August 27, 2009