Effective Date: February 14, 2000
Expiration Date: February 14, 2020
|Updated to comply with 1400 Compliance with administrative changes, and updated title and office name changes.|
a. This directive establishes policy for assigning official names to major NASA projects, as defined in NPD 7120.4 and as determined by the responsible Official-in-Charge.
b. Each major NASA project will be assigned an official name as early as possible after approval by the Administrator and in time for use in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) budget cycle.
c. Selection of names should be restricted to funded NASA projects which have clear identity and are major program elements.
d. Project names will be simple and easily pronounced. They will not duplicate or be so similar to other names that they create confusion.
(1) Project names will be serialized when appropriate to limit the number in use at any one time. When names are serialized, they will include an Arabic number, e.g., Nimbus 1 and Nimbus 2.
(2) Acronyms are to be avoided in selecting names except where the acronym is descriptive and easily pronounced.
(3) Names will be printed with only the initial letter capitalized, e.g., Nimbus not NIMBUS.
a. This NPD applies to NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities and Technical and Support Service Centers..
b. For purposes of this directive, the term "project" also includes payloads.
c. In this NPD all manadatory actions (i.e requirements) are denoted by statements containing the term "shall", the terms "may" or "can" denote discretionary privilege or permission, "should" doenotes a good practice and is recommend but not reuqired, "will" denotes expected outcome, and "are/is" denotes descriptive material.
The National Aeronautics and Space Act, as amended, U.S.C. § 20113(a).
NPD 7120.4, Program/Project Management.
a. The Official-in-Charge of a Headquarters office will:
(1) Identifies projects for which names are required.
(2) Assembles a special committee to recommend names.
(3) The Official-in-Charge serves as or designates a chair and appoints committee members such that every special project name committee is composed of one member from each of the following offices:
(a) Office of the Official-in-Charge for which a project name is under consideration, e.g., Science Mission Directorate.
(b) Any other NASA Headquarters office participating in the management of a significant element of or having other major involvement in the project. This will include the Public Affairs Officer colocated in the NASA Headquarters program office initiating the name selection process.
b. The special committee:
(1) Solicits suggestions, particularly from the responsible NASA Centers and contractors.
(2) Submits, upon completion of its deliberations, specific recommendations, to the Associate Administrator for Office of Communications.
c. The Deputy Associate Administrator for Office of Communications:
(1) Reviews the recommendations of the special committee, makes a selection, and submits the selection to the Administrator for final approval.
(2) Makes the public announcement of the approved name and ensures that all subsequent news releases use the official name.
Each major NASA project will be assigned an official name in time for use in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) budget cycle.
NPD 76201H, Official Names for Major NASA Projects, dated February 14, 2000..