Effective Date: April 11, 2003
Expiration Date: April 11, 2018
|Revalidated with to incorporate NPR 1400.1 requirements, update authorities, office titles, adding a measurement/verification and added an Attachment A - Acronyms.|
It is NASA policy to provide the policy to process waiver of claims in accordance with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Directive referenced in paragraph 4.a. This Directive delegates OMB's authority to waive erroneous payments to the Executive branch agency that made the erroneous payment. The officials to whom authority is delegated in the NPD will ensure that feedback is provided through official channels to keep the NASA Administrator informed of significant actions, problems, or other matters of substance related to this exercise of the authority delegated hereunder.
a. This NPD is applicable to NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities and Technical Services Centers. It applies to claims of the United States arising out of erroneous payments of pay and allowances, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses and allowances made to or on behalf of NASA employees.
b. This authority does not apply to payments made to other than NASA employees, or an advance made to any employee under the provisions of 5 United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 57, Subchapters I and II.
c. In this NPD all mandatory actions (i.e. requirements) are denoted by statements containing the term "shall", the terms "may" or "can" donate discretionary privilege or permission, "should" denotes a good practice and is recommend but not required, "will" denotes expected outcome, and "are/is" denotes descriptive material.
a. The National Aeronautics and Space Act, as amended, 51 U.S.C. § 2010 et seq.
c. Public Law 104-316, General Accounting Office Act of 1996 (110 Stat. 3826), Section 101 Transportation and Relocation Expenses and Allowances.
a. OMB Directive, "Determination With Respect to Transfer of Functions Pursuant to Public Law 104-316," December 17, 1996.
b. Overpayment of Pay and Allowances, and of Travel, Transportation, and Relocation Expenses and Allowances, 5 U.S.C. 5584 .
a. The Executive Director of Headquarters Operations and the Director of each NASA Center are responsible for the following:
(1) Ensuring compliance with the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 5584 and the OMB Directive referenced in paragraph 4.a. of this NPD.
(2) Ensuring coordination with, and submission for review, by the Office of the Chief Counsel, Financial Management Office, Office of Human Resources, Office of Education, and other offices as appropriate at the respective NASA Center or Component Facility; and the Agency's Office of General Counsel, Office of Chief Financial Officer, Office of Human Resources, Office of Education, and other offices as appropriate at NASA Headquarters.
a. The Associate Administrator for Strategic Infrastructure is delegated the authority to perform the following:
(1) Grant waiver, in whole or part, of a claim in any amount when waiver is permitted under 5 U.S.C. 5584.
(2) Reconsider denials of waiver by the Executive Director of Headquarters Operations or a Center Director.
b. The Executive Director of Headquarters Operations (for claims originating at Headquarters), the NASA Inspector General (for claims of OIG employees), and each Center Director (for claims originating at the Center or the respective Component Facility), are delegated the authority to perform the following:
(1) Grant waiver, in whole or part, of a claim in an amount aggregating not more than $5,000, when waiver is permitted under 5 U.S.C. 5584.
(2) Deny waiver of a claim in any amount, provided that the employee from whom collection is sought is advised of his/her right to request reconsideration of the denial from the Associate Administrator.
c. The authority delegated in paragraph 6.b. may be redelegated to not more than one immediate subordinate official who reports directly to the Executive Director of Headquarters Operations, the Inspector General, or Center Director, without further power of redelegation. Such a redelegation will identify, by position title, the subordinate official.
d. This authority may not be delegated to Personnel Officers or Deputy Chief Financial Officers (Finance).
Quality assurance activities and additional analysis of financial and budgetary reports will be used to measure compliance with this NPD.
NPD 9645.2D, Delegation of Authority - To Waive Claims for Erroneous Payment of Pay and Allowances, Travel, Transportation, and Relocation Expenses and Allowances, dated April 11, 2003.
NPD NASA Policy Directive
NPR NASA Procedural Requirements
OMB Office of Management and Budget
U.S.C. United States Codes