Effective Date: July 22, 1999
|Responsible Office: Office of Policy Coordination and International Relations|
|Subject: Further Amendments to Executive Order 12757, Implementation of the Enterprise for the Americas Initiative|
Further Amendments to Executive Order 12757, Implementation of the Enterprise
for the Americas Initiative.
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution. and the laws of the United States of America, including the Agriculture Trade Development and Assistance Act of 1954 ("ATDA
Act"), as amended, the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 (FAA), as amended, the Foreign Operations, Export Financing and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 1996 (Public 104-07), and the Tropical Forest Conservation Act of 1998 (Public Law 105-14), it is hereby ordered as follows:
Section 1. Amendment of Executive Order 12757. Executive Order 12757, "Implementation of the Enterprise for the Americas Initiative," as amended by Executive Orders 12823 and 13028, is
further amended as follows:
(a) The Title is amended by adding at the end thereof "and the Tropical Forest Conservation Act of 1998".
(b) The Preamble is amended:
(1) by striking the comma (",") after Public Law 101-624, and inserting instead "and"; and (2) by inserting "and Public Law 105-214" after "Public Law 102-549".
(c) Section 1 is amended:
(1) by striking "and" after "sections 703", and inserting instead a comma (",");
(2) by inserting, "805(b), 806(a), 807(a), 808(a)(1)(A), 808(a)(2), 812 and 813" after "704";
(3) by inserting "and the corresponding determinations required by section 805(b) of the FAA," after "FAA" the second time it appears; and
(4) by inserting "sections 808(a)(1)(B) and (C), and 808(a)(4) of the FAA, and by" after "The functions vested in the President by" the second time it appears.
(d) Section 3(b) is amended:
(1) by striking "also" after "Enterprise for the Americas Board shall"; and
(2) by inserting at the end of the section "The Enterprise for the Americas Board, as constituted pursuant to section 811 of the FAA, shall also advise the Secretary of State and the
Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development on the Secretary-s negotiation of Tropical Forest Agreements."
(e) Section 3(c) is amended:
(1) by striking "section 708(c)" after "the ATDA Act and", and inserting instead "sections 708(c) and 809(c)";
(2) by striking "and" after "environmental framework agreements" and inserting instead a comma (","); and
(3) by inserting "and the Tropical Forest Agreements, respectively" after "Americas Framework Agreements".
(f) Section 4(a) is amended by inserting at the end thereof "The two additional U.S. Government members of the Enterprise for the Americas Board appointed pursuant to section 811(b)(1)(A) of
the FAA shall be a representative of the International Forestry Division of the United States Forest Service and a representative of the Council on Environmental Quality."
(g) Section 4(c)(1) is amended by striking "section 708(c)(3)(C)" and inserting instead sections 708(c)(3)(C) and 811(c)(3)".
(h) Section 4(c)(2) is amended by striking "Part IV" and inserting instead "Parts IV and V".
(i) Section 4(d) is amended to read as follows: "(d) The five private nongovernmental organization members of the Board appointed pursuant to section 610(b)(1)(B) of the ATDA Act and the two additional members appointed pursuant to section 8116(b)(1)(B) of the FAA shall be appointed by the President."
Section 2. Judicial Review. This order is intended only to improve the internal management of the Federal Government, and is not intended to create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable by a party against the United States, its agencies instrumentalities, its officers or employees, or any other person.
William J. Clinton
THE WHITE HOUSE,
July 22, 1999.
Back to Main Menu