|NASA Headquarters' Directives|
Effective Date: May 24, 2016
Expiration Date: May 24, 2021
Responsible Office: LM4
|Student Loan Repayment Program Plan|
This document is uncontrolled when printed.
Check the NASA Online Directives Information System (NODIS) Library
to verify that this is the correct version before use.
Employee: An officer and an individual who is:
(1) appointed in the civil service by one of the following acting in an official capacity:
a. the President;
b. a Member or Members of Congress, or the Congress;
c. a member of a uniformed service;
d. an individual who is an employee under this section;
e. the head of a Government controlled corporation; or
f. an adjutant general designated by the Secretary concerned under section 709(c) of title 32;
(2) engaged in the performance of a Federal function under authority of law or an Executive act; and
(3) subject to the supervision of an individual named by paragraph (1) of this subsection while engaged in the performance of the duties of his position.
Student Loan: A loan made, insured, or guaranteed under parts B, D, or E of Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965; or a health education assistance loan made or insured under Part A of Title VII of the Public Health Service Act, or under Part E of Title VIII of that Act.
Temporary Employee: Employees serving after February 7, 1968, in competitive positions under indefinite appointments or temporary appointments pending establishment of a register or as status quo employees acquire competitive status and are entitled to have their employment converted to career employment when such employees:
(1) Complete a total of at least 3 years of service in such a position under one or more such appointments without a break in service of more than 30 calendar days or without an interruption by nonqualifying service of more than 30 calendar days;
(2) Have rendered satisfactory service for the 12 months immediately preceding the conversion; and
(3) Meet applicable qualification requirements for the positions and are otherwise eligible for career employment. This paragraph does not apply to employees serving under an overseas limited appointment or in positions above GS-15 or equivalent.