Effective Date: April 28, 2010
Expiration Date: April 28, 2023
|Update to comply with 1400 Compliance,with administrative changes, and added Measurement/Verification.|
|Updated to comply with NPR 1400.1,with administrative changes, and changed responsibility of "NASA OCFO" to "NASA OCFO or its designee."|
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) may accept and utilize monetary gifts, donations, or bequests given as cash, check, or money order, provided they are unsolicited and offered without conditions on their use. The acceptance and use will be in accordance with 51 U.S.C. § 20113 (a), this directive, and all other pertinent NASA directives, policies, procedures, and requirements. These monetary gifts will not be attributed to or associated with any contractual or other legal instruments for performing work or services for the donor or for the donor's interest.
a. This NASA Policy Directive (NPD) is applicable to NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities. It applies to gifts or donations in the form of cash, check, or money order.
b. This NPD does not apply to gifts to NASA employees or to gifts or donations accepted to carry out the provisions of the National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program.
c. In this NPD, all mandatory actions (i.e., requirements) are denoted by statements containing the term "shall." The terms: "may" or "can" denote discretionary privilege or permission, "should" denotes a good practice and is recommended but not required, "will" denotes expected outcome, and "are/is" denotes descriptive material.
d. In this directive, all documented citations are assumed to be the latest version unless otherwise noted.
The National Aeronautics and Space Act, 51 U.S.C. § 20113 (a).
a. NPD 9050.3, Administrative Control of Appropriations and Funds.
b. NPR 1210.1, Procedures for Use of Monetary Gifts and Donations by NASA.
c. Treasury Financial Manual (TFM), Volume 1, Federal Agencies, pt. 5, Deposit Regulations, Ch. 2000, Depositing Domestic Checks and Cash Received in Over The Counter (OTC) Collections, Sec. 2055, Frequency of Deposits."
a. Officials-in-Charge of Headquarters Offices and NASA Center Directors or their designee shall forward all gifts or donations received by them or anyone in their respective organizations within ten business days of the receipt of such gifts or donations, given as cash, check, or money order, to NASA Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO), Director for Financial Management Division.
b. Pursuant to the authority delegated in Section 6, the NASA OCFO or its designee is responsible for:
(1) Determining whether the monetary gifts or donations forwarded per Section 5.a. are unsolicited and unconditional.
(2) If the monetary gifts or donations are unconditional and unsolicited, accepting them on behalf of NASA.
(3) Forwarding the unconditional and unsolicited monetary gifts and donations to the NASA Shared Services Center (NSSC) for deposit in the Gifts and Donations Trust Fund (80X8980).
(4) Issuance of an appropriate acknowledgement of the monetary gifts or donations to the donor.
(5) If the monetary gifts or donations are conditional or solicited, returning them to the donor.
(6) Compliance with NPD 9050.3 and NPR 1210.1 for funds control.
(7) Coordinating written proposals (see paragraph 5.d (1)) for use of trust funds and obtaining reviews by the Office of the General Counsel, the Mission Directorates, and other appropriate Headquarters' offices.
(8) Financial approval or denial of written proposals for use of trust funds.
c. The NSSC is responsible for the following:
(1) In accordance with TFM guidance, NSSC shall deposit the monetary gifts or donations of $5,000 or more within one business day of the receipt of such gifts or donations in the Gifts and Donations Trust Fund (80X8980).
(2) In accordance with TFM guidance, NSSC shall deposit the monetary gifts or donations of less than $5,000 by Thursday of the week of the receipt of such gifts or donations in the Gifts and Donations Trust Fund (80X8980).
(3) NSSC shall notify NASA OCFO, Director for Financial Management Division of the deposit within ten business days of the deposit.
d. The requesting NASA Center or Component Facility submitting a proposal will be responsible for the following:
(1) Submitting a written proposal requesting use of trust funds to the Agency OCFO.
(2) Obtaining Center reviews, concurrences, and approvals of the proposal from the Center Directors, Center Chief Financial Officers, Center Office of Chief Counsel, and the Center Technical Directors.
The authority to accept monetary gifts and donations subject to this NPD and to determine their use for the Agency is delegated to the NASA Chief Financial Officer.
Quality assurance reviews and analysis of financial and budgetary reports and data will be used to measure compliance with this NPD.
NPD 1210.1G, Acceptance and Use of Monetary Gifts and Donations, dated April 28, 2010.