Effective Date: January 28, 2010
Expiration Date: January 28, 2023
Updated directive to comply with 1400 Compliance. Incorporated administrative changes to include: Applicability Statement added; Updated document name of OMB Circular A-123; Updated reference to SAE International AS9100; Added correct office title (OCFO)
It is NASA's policy to:
a. Establish, implement, assess, and report on an Integrated Management System (IMS) to provide accountability and improve the effectiveness of the Agency. Achievement of ISO 9001/AS 9100 compliance or registration is consistent with the intent of this NPD.
b. Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and requirements such as NASA Policy Directive(NPD)1000.0, NPD 1001.0, NPD 1000.3, 31 U.S.C. § 3512, Circular A-123, and NPD 1200.1.
c. Design Management Systems (definition in ATTACHMENT A) and an IMS (definition in ATTACHMENT A), at a minimum, to ensure that management:
(1) Creates and communicates to employees NASA's organizational structure and cultural environment. Relevant information is identified, captured, and communicated in a form and timeframe that enables employees to carry out their responsibilities.
(2) Ensures that a process is in place to set goals and objectives that support and align with the Agency's mission.
(3) Implements activities for achieving goals and objectives, including performance measures.
(4) Documents and implements policies, processes, and standards necessary to identify risks. Risks are assessed, considering the likelihood and impact, as a basis for determining how they should be managed.
(5) Implements policies, processes, and standards necessary to ensure risk responses are effective.
(6) Ensures that integrated institutional, programmatic, and financial risk assessments are performed at the Agency and Center level.
(7) Conducts appropriate periodic IMS reviews and assessments, reconciliations, comparisons and trending of data, and other auditing and assessment activities to effect change and continual improvement. Monitoring shall include assessment of the quality of performance over time and assurance that the findings of audits and other reviews are promptly resolved.
a. This NPD is applicable to NASA Headquarters (HQ) and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities and Technical and Service Support Centers. This NPD also applies to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC), other contractors, grant recipients, or parties to agreements only to the extent specified or referenced in the appropriate contracts, grants, or agreements.
b. In this NPD, all mandatory actions (i.e., requirements) are denoted by statement containing the term "shall." The terms "may" or "can" denote discretionary privilege or permission, "should" denotes a good practice and is recommended, but not required, "will" denotes expected outcome, and "are" or "is" denote descriptive material.
c. In this NPD, all document citations are assumed to be the latest version unless otherwise noted.
a. National Technology Transfer and Advancement Act of 1995,15 U.S.C. § 272 note (Utilization of Consensus Standards by Federal Agencies), Section 12(d) (Pub. L. 104-113, as amended by Pub. L. 107-107).
b. The National Aeronautics and Space Act, as amended, 51 U.S.C. § 20113.
c. Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Quality Assurance 48 CFR pt. 46.
d. NASA FAR Supplement, Quality Assurance, 48 CFR. pt. 1846.
a. Federal Managers' Financial Integrity Act of 1982, 31 U.S.C. § 3512.
b. OMB Circular No. A-123 (Revised), Management's Responsibility for Enterprise Risk Management and Internal Control.
c. NPD 1000.0, NASA Governance and Strategic Management Handbook.
d. NPD 1000.3, The NASA Organization.
e. NPD 1001.0, 2006 NASA Strategic Plan.
f. NPD 1200.1, NASA Internal Control.
g. SAE International, AS9100, Quality Management Systems: Aviation, Space & Defense Organizations
a. The Deputy Administrator shall:
(1) Establish an IMS for HQ.
(2) Ensure the performance of an Agency-level integrated risk assessment.
(3) Review and ensure HQ and Center implementation of this NPD by using various evaluation mechanisms.
b. The Mission Directorate Associate Administrators, the Mission Support Assistant Administrators, and other Officials-in-Charge of HQ shall implement and maintain the respective elements of the HQ IMS as they relate to their organizations.
c. The Center Directors shall:
(1) Establish an IMS for their Center.
(2) Develop and update Center management system policies and implementation practices.
(3) Evaluate the effectiveness of the IMS by using various evaluation mechanisms.
d. The Chief Financial Officer shall:
(1) Develop and update NASA management system policies and implementation practices for approval by the Senior Assessment Team and the Operations Management Council.
(2) Perform internal audits at HQ to evaluate and report on the effectiveness of the HQ IMS in supporting HQ activities.
(3) Collect, coordinate, and report on data and information captured from HQ and Center assessments.
The degree to which the IMS contributes to the Agency in meeting its strategic goals.
NPD 1280.1, NASA Management System Policy, dated April 17, 2003.
Revalidated on January 23, 2018
a. Management System: A set of processes, procedures, policies, tools and organizations that successfully transform customer requirements into products and services. Tools, techniques, and systems are determined by HQ and Centers based on size, type, responsibilities, and associated levels of risk.
b. Integrated Management System: An integration of multiple management systems each of which is specifically focused on achieving objectives and goals related to a functional, programmatic, or operational area such as acquisitions, environmental management and, quality management assurance. The effective integration of the individual management systems enables achievement of NASA's mission.
a. OMB Circular A-119, Federal Participation in the Development and Use of Voluntary Consensus Standards and in Conformity Assessments Activities, dated February 10, 1998.
b. NPD 1210.2, NASA Surveys, Audits, and Reviews Policy.
c. NPD 1440.6, NASA Records Management.
d. NPD 8700.1, NASA Policy for Safety and Mission Success.
e. NPD 8730.5, NASA Quality Assurance Program Policy.
f. NASA Procedural Requirements 8000.4, Agency Risk Management Procedural Requirements.