Effective Date: March 26, 1999
Expiration Date: March 26, 2023
|Update with 1400 Compliance by adding additional applicability statements, updating the authorities, and creating an Attachment A: References.|
|Update with 1400 Compliance, removing responsibility from Policy statement and adding to Responsibility, and removed Attachment A.|
It is NASA policy to ensure the effective distribution and coordination of correspondence
from the Executive Office of the President, a single point of contact is established.
This correspondence consists of documents sent or received in paper or
electronic medium either under Federal law or in connection with the
transaction of public business. This directive does not abridge the rights of NASA employees to
communicate as private citizens with the Executive Office of the
a. This directive is applicable to NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities, and Technical and Service Support Centers.
b. This directive is not applicable to matters related to or involving NASA administrative proceedings or court actions.
c. In this directive, all mandatory actions (i.e., requirements) are denoted by statements containing the term "shall." The terms: "may" or "can" denote discretionary privilege or permission; "should" denotes a good practice and is recommended, but not required; "will" denotes expected outcome; and "are/is" denotes descriptive material.
d. In this directive, all documents citations are assumed to be the latest version unless otherwise noted.
The National Aeronautics and Space Act, as amended, 51 U.S.C. 20113(a).
a. U.S. Government Manual.
b. NPR 1450.10, NASA Correspondence Management and Communications Standards and Style.
c. NPD 1440.6, NASA Records Management.
a. The White House Liaison will provide the following:
(1) Direct handling procedures for the correspondence from the Executive Office of the President.
(2) Provide liaison between the Executive Office of the President and NASA and prescribe special procedures for the Agency`s management of specific correspondence and related actions from the Executive Office of the President.
b. The Officials-in-Charge of Headquarters Offices and Directors of NASA Centers will accomplish the following:
(1) Expeditiously provide the NASA Executive Secretariat a copy of the correspondence received directly from the Executive Office of the President that should be brought to the attention of the White House Liaison. This will ensure that a copy of the correspondence is retained within the official records and actions are tasked, as required.
(2) Furnish the White House Liaison with the details of requests for information that were made directly by the Executive Office of the President.
c. The NASA Executive Secretariat:
(1) Has the responsibility to receive for the Agency and assign actions tasked via correspondence from those organizations identified within the United States Government Manual as belonging to the Executive Office of the President.
(2) Will ensure that correspondence from the Executive Office of the President, to include mail addressed or referenced by the Executive Office of the President to Officials in the Office of the Administrator or addressed or referenced as NASA only, is reviewed for content and that actions requiring the attention of a NASA Headquarters office are assigned, in accordance with NPR 1450.10. Additionally, the following procedures will be observed.
(a) Correspondence that is clearly marked to be opened by a specific NASA official, the Office of the Inspector General, or a labor union official, so identified by title, will be delivered to the addressee unopened.
(b) Correspondence addressed to NASA or to officials in the Office of the Administrator will be managed as controlled correspondence. This process includes the following:
(i) Correspondence will be reviewed for content and actions will be assigned to the appropriate responsible offices.
(ii) Actions will be assigned due dates based upon the content of the document or 10 working days, whichever is shorter.
(iii) A copy of the letter will be forwarded to the addressee, with the cover sheet assigning the action, and an information copy will be provided to the White House Liaison. Information copies will be provided to other NASA Headquarters offices, as required.
(c) Actions and schedules will be assigned, as required, to coincide with those prescribed by the Executive Office of the President for White House-referred correspondence categorized as Draft Replies, Direct Replies, and Bulk Mail.
d. The Technical Monitor for the Mail Services Contract will ensure that all mail addressed to NASA or to NASA Officials in the Office of the Administrator from the Executive Office of the President is delivered expeditiously and unopened to the NASA Executive Secretariat.
a. In assessing whether NASA is in compliance with current regulations, the NASA Executive Secretariat will do the following:
b. Maintain a recordkeeping system of accountability for the incoming cases of correspondence and requests for information from the Executive Office of the President to the Office of the Administrator.
c. Ensure that the Office of the Administrator's records are maintained in accordance with applicable records retention schedules pursuant to NPD 1440.6.
c. Maintain a tracking system of accountability for the incoming cases of correspondence and requests for information from the Executive Office of the President to the Office of the Administrator to include the number and date of incoming cases and the number of closed cases.
NPD 1450.12C, Handling Correspondence and Information From the Executive Office of the President, dated March 26, 1999.
This document does not bind the public, except as authorized by law or as incorporated into a contract. This document is uncontrolled when printed. Check the NASA Online Directives Information System (NODIS) Library to verify that this is the correct version before use: https://nodis3.gsfc.nasa.gov.