Effective Date: January 06, 2016
Expiration Date: January 06, 2021
NASA's policy is to establish the authorities to approve facility projects, including all collateral equipment required to make such facility projects initially usable.
a. This directive is applicable to NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities and Technical and Service Support Centers. This directive applies to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) (a Federally Funded Research and Development Center [FFRDC]) and other contractors only to the extent specified or referenced in applicable contracts.
b. In this directive, all mandatory actions (i.e., requirements) are denoted by statements containing the term "shall." The terms "may" or "can" denote discretionary privilege or permission, "should" denotes a good practice and is recommended but not required, "will" denotes expected outcome, and "are/is" denotes descriptive material.
a. The National Aeronautics and Space Act, as amended, 51 U.S.C. § 20113 (a).
b. NPD 1000.0, NASA Governance and Strategic Management Handbook.
a. NPD 9050.6, NASA Exchange and Morale Support Activities.
b. Decision Thresholds of Governing Councils.
a. The Associate Administrator:
(1) Approves the use of funds appropriated for the Construction of Facilities (CoF) for emergency repairs of existing facilities under the authority contained in 51 U.S.C. 20113(a) of the National Aeronautics and Space Act, as amended.
(2) Approves the reprogramming or transfer of authority for appropriated funds, as provided for in the annual appropriation act and/or an approved NASA Operating Plan.
b. Agency Management Council(s) shall approve NASA-funded investments in CoF projects consistent with NASA Charters.
c. The Chief Financial Officer (CFO), or designee, shall approve changes to the budget control amounts within the Construction and Environmental Compliance and Restoration (CECR) account and transfers into or out of the CECR account, as prescribed in the annual appropriations act and/or an approved NASA Operating Plan.
d. The Director of Facilities and Real Estate Division, or designee, shall:
(1) Approve CoF projects and activities funded under the annual appropriation acts and/or an approved NASA Operating Plan consistent with the Decision Thresholds of Governing Councils.
(2) Approve CoF project budget and budget adjustments.
(3) Approve facilities projects funded from sources other than NASA appropriations, except as provided for by NPD 9050.6 with authority for further redelegation to Center Directors or Director, NASA Management Office.
(4) Approve routine facilities projects for projects below the CoF limits consistent with the Decision Thresholds of Governing Councils with the authority for further redelegation to Center Directors or the Director, NASA Management Office.
e. The Mission Directorates Associate Administrators, or designee, shall:
(1) Approve the transfer of funds from the control accounts to the CECR account.
(2) Provide concurrence of CoF projects that directly support programmatic activity.
As provided to the designated authorities under paragraph 5 of this directive.
Compliance with this directive will be measured as part of the annual self-assessment process.
NPD 7330.1H, Approval Authorities for Facility Projects dated, October 19,1999.
NPD 8820.2, Design and Construction of Facilities.