Effective Date: March 12, 2021
Expiration Date: March 12, 2026
|| TOC | ChangeHistory | Preface | Chapter1 | Chapter2 | Chapter3 | Chapter4 | Chapter5 | Chapter6 | Chapter7 | Chapter8 | AppendixA | AppendixB | AppendixC | AppendixD | AppendixE | AppendixF | AppendixG | ALL ||
3.1.1 As a means of installing the quality controls and verifications required herein into the daily work of NASA Centers, each NASA Center Director shall implement and maintain a QMS within the Center and within those component facilities for which the Center is directly responsible for, that:
a. Is comprehensive with respect to the quality controls necessary to meet regulatory, crew safety, property preservation, and mission objectives commonly held by missions assigned to the Center.
b. Is compliant with AS9100D with exceptions and alternate equivalent approaches documented.
c. Is readily accessible by Center personnel who are responsible for adhering to the policies, procedures, and practices defined by the QMS.
d. Includes the following additional processes, procedures, and programs:
(1) Approach used for adherence to NPR 8735.1, Exchange of Problem Data Using NASA Advisories and the Government-Industry Data Exchange Program (GIDEP).
(2) Management and use of supplier audit and assessment data by:
(a) Entering supplier audit and assessment data in the https://sas.nasa.gov database.
(b) Using the data in the https://sas.nasa.gov database as a minimum for analyzing suppliers' past performance.
(3) A counterfeit avoidance system that adheres to the following technical standards:
(a) SAE AS6174A, Counterfeit Materiel, Assuring Acquisition of Authentic and Conforming Materiel for parts and materials that are not considered to be Electric, Electronic, and Electromechanical Parts (EEE) parts.
(b) AS5553C, Counterfeit Electronic Parts; Avoidance, Detection, Mitigation, and Disposition, for EEE parts.
(4) Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) control in accordance with NASA-STD-8739.6, Implementation Requirements for NASA Workmanship Standards, and ANSI/ESD S20.20-2014, ESD Association Standard for the Development of an Electrostatic Discharge Control Program for Protection of Electrical and Electronic Parts, Assemblies, and Equipment (Excluding Electrically Initiated Explosive Devices).
(5) Metrology and calibration in accordance with NASA-STD-8739.12, Metrology and Calibration.
(6) Fastener QA in accordance with NASA-STD-8739.14, NASA Fastener Procurement, Receiving Inspection, and Storage Practices for NASA Mission Hardware.
(7) Pb-free tin and Pb-free tin alloy control program that adheres to the requirements of 4.3.4.a herein.
(8) Foreign object debris controls that comply with NAS 412 Revision 1, Foreign Object Damage/Foreign Object Debris (FOD) Prevention.
(9) Engagement of the appropriate procurement officer when a Government-accepted item, with a warrantee, has been found to be defective or nonconforming (for additional information, see NFS 1846.770, Administration).
3.1.2 NASA Center Directors shall establish and maintain crosscutting quality requirements, considered to be of the institutional type, within the Center's QMS. For additional information on the definition of institutional requirements, see NPR 7120.5.
3.1.3 Tailoring of the QMS requirements herein by NASA Centers is permitted for optimizing the QMS for the type of hardware development, manufacturing, and processing work performed at the Center. SMA Directors shall make the rationale available to second- and third-party auditors for breaks in traceability between the Center's QMS command media and the QA requirements herein and in AS9100D. This includes use of alternate, equivalent technical standards.
3.1.4 NASA Center Directors shall annually inform the Chief, SMA, of the state of the Project QA program at their Center, including performance indicators and risks to the satisfactory implementation of QA responsibilities defined in this NPR.
| TOC | ChangeHistory | Preface | Chapter1 | Chapter2 | Chapter3 | Chapter4 | Chapter5 | Chapter6 | Chapter7 | Chapter8 | AppendixA | AppendixB | AppendixC | AppendixD | AppendixE | AppendixF | AppendixG | ALL |
|| NODIS Library | Program Management(8000s) | Search ||
This document does not bind the public, except as authorized by law or as incorporated into a contract. This document is uncontrolled when printed. Check the NASA Online Directives Information System (NODIS) Library to verify that this is the correct version before use: https://nodis3.gsfc.nasa.gov.